So, you have decided to pursue an exciting career in the healthcare industry and become a medical assistant. A great decision, given how lucrative and rewarding this position can be. However, before you start this journey of yours and become a certified medical assistant, you will have to finish an appropriate training course and obtain your certificate. To do that, you will have two options, either through traditional schooling or via one of many online medical assisting programs.
In this article, we will discuss the latter ones, their most notable advantages, and some of their disadvantages. We hope this information will allow you to make a more informed decision when it comes to obtaining your certificate.
The pros and cons of online programs
Even though there are still those that consider online programs to be rather inadequate in comparison to traditional schooling, it is no secret that there is an almost equal number of medical assistants who have finished online courses and those who have finished traditional courses. This is a result of some of many advantages of online courses, such as the following:
1. By undertaking an online course, you will be in a position to fit all the classes into your schedule, mainly thanks to their high flexibility.
2. You will not have to buy all kinds of scrub uniforms that traditional students are required to have and wear.
3. You will have instant access to a variety of learning materials and training programs. Keep in mind that campus-based classes and courses are not available everywhere. Therefore, if you live in a remote location, far away from a training program location, you will have no other choice.
4. Traditional school tuition costs can be rather high. On the other hand, online courses a very affordable, mainly due to the fact that they do not have the expenses typically associated with traditional schools.
The key disadvantage of online courses
The most notable disadvantage of online medical assistant courses lies in the fact that you will not be provided with the “hands on” experience. As a result, you might have difficulties learning certain skills and techniques necessary for some special tasks. However, if you already have some on-the-job training and possess the necessary skills, you will not actually need this type of training. This, in turn, will make online classes a great alternative to the traditional classes.
Some other disadvantages of online classes include:
1. A rather limited assistance when passing the final exam
2. Sometimes, you will have to purchase certain learning materials separately.
When opting for a medical assistant program, whether it takes place online or is conducted in a traditional classroom, keep in mind that it should end with a practicum. When undertaking a traditional training course, you will be probably assigned to a certain clinic, usually of your choice. On the other hand, with an online course, you will have the complete freedom when it comes to choosing when and where to have your practicum.
In the end, regardless of whether you opt for campus-based or online courses, medical assistant training will be crucial in preparing you for a fruitful career, one that is in very high demand at the moment. Given that it will stay that way for some time, you should definitely seize this opportunity.…